I found this on the floor as I left one of my classes last week, and after a brief chuckle, it got me thinking. What exactly would I tell freshman to help them be successful during their college career? Well, perhaps they’re not quite as helpful as the list above, but here are the top 5 things I want to tell college freshman, and I’m pretty sure many other seniors would agree.
- Don’t wear your lanyard around your neck. While it’s good to keep track of your keys so you don’t have to annoy your roommate every time you go back to your dorm, wearing your lanyard around your neck at all times is like a big, blinking marquee that you’re a freshman. Put your keys in your backpack. That’s what it’s there for.
- Don’t update your social media accounts every time you do homework. We know it’s exciting being a real college student (and it feels fun to gripe about the “real world” of college homework to all your friends who are still in high school), but it’s another blinking marquee of freshman-dom. If we were to tweet every time we were doing homework, our feeds would be the most boring, tedious, endless flow of tweets ever. You’re in college, which means you have homework. It’s sort of a given. So no need to tell the world.
- Don’t wear heels to class. Ladies, it’s just not worth it. Carrying a thirty pound backpack completely defeats the whole purpose of wearing heels anyway– no one is going to appear graceful or sexy under the weight of a rectangle-shaped boulder. The only exceptions to this rule are heeled boots and/or presentation/recital clothing.
- Don’t be afraid to ask directions. Listen, we can tell you’re completely lost. It’s written all over your face. And you know what? That’s okay. You’ll learn your way around quicker than you think. In the meantime, just ask us where your next class is. Chances are we’ll know exactly where to direct you, and might even give you some helpful advice on where the closest Starbucks is or the best place to study or what bathrooms to avoid.
- Don’t call us old. Seriously. We may look like we have it all together because we have this college things down, but we’re literally only four years ahead of you. In three years time you’ll be right where we are– wishing people would stop calling you old at 21 and coming up with your own lists to tell freshmen.
What advice do you have for freshmen? Or what things do you wish you’d known?